Personal Game Jam Weekend – Day 2

Day two arrives. The priority was to achieve as much of the minimum requirements as possible in the hope we could add a bit of spit and polish to them during the final day or maybe even an extra feature.

Then came the issue none of us had thought about, organisation. Sharing of assets, version control etc. While not ideal everyone ended up working from my dropbox, the coders sharing one main build while using another two PCs to test new code before writing it to our main file.

While it doesn’t all apply to me I’m going to quote from Kelly’s post.

“Since none of us had done game jams before or built an entire game from scratch, there was quite a massive learning curve. In my personal opinion, it was also difficult working with such a variety of people with multiple skill sets, each at their own level of ability. This made me feel a little sub-par. I think it was also an overall difficult endeavour since it was taking place at our house, which meant there was no real downtime in between the game development. Sometimes people were staying up all night working on something, while others tried to sleep, which meant not everyone was involved in the activity at all times and there was some catching up. I think, in a professional or school environment, this might be a lot easier.”

While I wasn’t feeling sub-par to anyone (granted I wasn’t coding) it was exhausting having no real down time or way to escape from it in my own home. The other major issue was that our central heating had died three days prior and the house was freezing all weekend. Thankfully everyone still agreed to do it despite this set back.

So moaning aside I sat down to start creating assets. As the grid based movement/level had been decided on we settled on all assets being 512×512 and would be scaled down in engine as needed. Keeping an animal testing lab theme in mind Dean and I put our heads down.

Here is the sheet I kept adding new assets to, to make sure they all worked with each other (was just a PSD I kept open to play with assets/tilings). Oh I forgot to mention, we used a combination of Photoshop and Animate for all assets.

animallabNot all of these were made on the first day, however the majority were. Since I’m backdating this, I’ll add all of the game assets to day 2 and leave tomorrow to talk about tidying up loose ends and the splash screen. Here is a slideshow of every asset we created, used and unused.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We created multiple types of lab assistant, multiple recolours of animals, crates, lab equipment, computers, desks, shelves etc, in an effort to piece together a tile set that could be reused across all the levels. While we did set out on the morning with a plan of the basics (floors, walls, an assistant, an animal, one obstacle and a start and finish marker), this quickly escalated into creating further assets due to finishing promptly.

Since we reached a point where both artists were sitting on their hands at the very end of day two, we drafted out a couple of extra plans for levels two and three. Sadly we never got to these, but here is the planning in action.

img_20161217_213328

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s